Triggers


We have all heard the phrase 'trigger happy', denoting someone with a short fuse, but what’s the opposite? Trigger sad? The word trigger can have a very different meaning for many of us. When I grew up, in the old black and white films Trigger was Roy Roger’s horse. Today, for me, a trigger represents that unpleasant moment that sets off my anxiety or depression. When I was first ill, I was unaware of those triggers and would find myself feeling unwell and not know why. This was a terrible situation since I felt out of control. Something was happening to me and I didn’t know why. Over time I have found that talking, reading, and writing about my illness has made me more aware of what I am going through and how to deal with it. I have learned to recognise the triggers that set my anxiety going or plunge me into depression. Knowledge does not stop the triggers but allows me to deal with them more effectively. I am told that there is always some thought that sets off a reaction but sometimes that thought is so quick you don’t recognise it. I have discovered which thoughts have this adverse effect on me and by using CBT I can begin to challenge them. There is no instant improvement. No magic wand but a slow raising of awareness and hesitant steps towards recovery. For those who remain in an unrecognised morass of anxiety and depression, I ask you to be patient and talk and talk and talk. Talking is a wonderful distraction and will give you insights into your illness. In my next blog, I will write about what I think my triggers are and how I am addressing them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Isaac's Birthday

Decorating

AMC the patchwork quilt