I can't tell you how I feel

 

I took my daughters to the planetarium in London many years ago. We sat in amazement looking at our solar system as it was presented to us. Then the story moved on to galaxies in the infinite universe. It left me feeling strangely disturbed because I couldn’t grasp the enormity of it all. Today I face a different challenge because now I am looking inwards into the vast depths and complexities of the human mind. My mind. Just like the physicists trying to make sense of the rules that determined our universe, so doctors are attempting to make sense of the human mind, its frailties, and its vast variations. Both tasks are equally daunting but I suspect that we understand the universe better than how the brain functions. I have heard many men say that they can’t confide in their wives even when their partner wants them to, because they have no way of expressing how they feel and what is happening to them. They are lost as to why they feel the way they do. They can’t explain what they feel because they have little comprehension of what is overwhelming them. Doctors and counsellors have theories and can help us understand some of the superficial things that cause mental ill-health but so much is hidden from them and ourselves. Bringing to the surface, what is hidden from our conscious mind is the first step. Recognising the problem is the starting point but not a cure. Most men walking through the doors of AMC are at a loss to understand what is happening to them. They are bewildered and crushed by their illness. They are dealing with the infinite universe of the mind that leaves them feeling utterly bereft. Talking is not a cure but it is a beginning. Over the weeks, I see men learning from each other and bringing their problems into an open arena, a solid world. They learn how to cope from hour to hour, day to day, and week to week. They take advice from those who are ahead of them on this journey and they feel they are not alone. We cannot intellectualise the mysteries of the mind but we can offer practical advice and brotherhood. We can keep people afloat until they begin to feel better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Isaac's Birthday

Decorating

AMC the patchwork quilt