A Conversation with myself

Adult: Why do you haunt me with your fears?

Child: They are your fears as well, but you always try to run away.

Adult: What do you mean?

Child: When I need you, you go off and sing or swim or play golf. Anything but talking to me and giving me reassurance.

Adult: But I don’t know how to do that. I only know how to pretend that everything’s OK. To laugh things off or keep busy. I was taught that men are strong and show a brave face to the world so when the anxiety comes, you are on your own. When I’m busy I can forget about you.

Child: But in time that won’t help either of us. I need to tell everyone how I feel but you won’t let me. I need to tell you how I feel.

Adult: But I am improving at that. I let you talk to the Samaritans, to the therapist, and sometimes at AMC.

Child: You don’t let me. When you are tearful you can’t stop me. You need me to speak out just like I need you to be strong. Am I an embarrassment to you?

ADULT: No no, I love you, but I’m not equipped to make you comfortable. I don’t know how to make you feel safe. Pretending to feel strong and optimistic is all I know. I’ve never learned anything else.

Child: No matter what face you present to the world you have to own these feelings if we are to get better. You have to accept me and let me tell you, and the world, about why I can feel so wretched. Can you remember the holiday trip to Wales when you thought there was something wrong with the car clutch? You worried all the time that the car would break down and we’d be stranded. You didn’t tell your wife and you pretended to be enjoying yourself, but my stomach was churning. I was pleased when we finally got home, and I think you were as well.

Adult: Yes, you are right. I was pleased to get home, but Kay and the kids enjoyed themselves and that’s all that matters.

Child: But that’s not all that matters. I get anxious and I need you to support me like you do your wife and family. I get frightened and feel alone just like Kay, but you put me on one side. You might give me the power to think and keep things in proportion so don’t abandon me. We are both living with a traumatic past.

Adult: Yes, about that. I only know what you tell me because I wasn’t there. I’ll try to support you, but your anxiety can be overwhelming and all-consuming, and it makes me want to run away. You and I are one so I can’t abandon you and anyway you are the one who holds all the answers. I am left guessing what causes my panic attacks but I expect you already know.  

 

 

 

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Isaac's Birthday

Decorating

AMC the patchwork quilt