Music to save a life

 Over the past few weeks, I have watched ‘The Piano’, a programme about amateur pianists having the chance to play for the general public in regional railway stations. The programmes were enjoyable and showcased a wide range of music, talented pianists, and a variety of entertaining and novel ways to create music on the piano. Tonight, I watched the final, held in the Royal Festival Hall in London where four outstanding amateur pianists played for a packed audience. I have always been moved by music and singing in a choir has helped me through some dark times. When I sing, I can’t help but feel and express the emotions within each song. For me, words are not something to be merely recited. I find that my mind and my body connect with the lyrics and underlying mood of the song, and I am lifted. Singing can transport me to a different place where I feel absorbed in the moment. I’m not claiming that I am a great singer, far from it, but singing gives me hope and makes me feel alive when I need it most. Tonight’s finalists offered that same appeal of raw emotions. Each had a tale to tell and obstacles to overcome. Each one was technically gifted but more importantly, each one was communicating through his or her playing. Four young people who had been helped through difficulties in their lives by playing the piano. It was a privilege to listen to each in turn and find myself connected to their music. We live in a difficult world, and many find it hard to cope but music, whether listening or participating, can make a difference. I look forward to the day when Andy’s Man Club has its own male voice choir. Wouldn’t that be something?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Isaac's Birthday

Decorating

AMC the patchwork quilt