Surviving the Christmas Period

 

For many, Christmas is a joyous time but for others, it can bring loneliness and heartache. I think of all those people on the streets, the families with no money and little food. We live in an affluent society but there are still the ‘haves and have-nots’. I suppose I am in the group of ‘haves’ so that Christmas brings no financial worries or anxiety about buying presents for those I love. I fall into a very different category hard for any outsider to perceive from casual observation. I should be looking forward to this break, but I don’t want a break because it will simply magnify the isolation I feel. Two weeks with no AMC will be hard because I need to talk about how I feel. Nearly three weeks without singing in my choir will be an ordeal since this is one of my pleasures and a great distraction. It lifts me and keeps me buoyant for days. Also, I usually speak to my counsellor on a Tuesday, and this year that will be Boxing Day and he won’t be available. When you suffer from anxiety and depression, you need simple routines and comfortable days, and having everything disrupted feels like a punishment. I know I will survive all of this and come out the other side but not everyone will understand my position, and many will have little sympathy for someone they believe has nothing to complain about. There will be many people like me, coping with mental health issues this Christmas. I wish them all good luck and well-being and trust they can make the most of this time of year. For me, Christmas Day spent with my family will help me through.

Comments

  1. Maybe some of your choir might be up for an online singalong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's impossible to sing using the internet. Everyone's voice comes in at different speeds depending on the quality of the system used and the sound is horrendous. We only tried it once but thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Isaac's Birthday

Decorating

AMC the patchwork quilt